According to the American Chiropractic Association (ACA), nearly 31 million Americans will experience low back pain at any given time. It’s also the most common reason for missing work.
Made up of bones, joints, ligaments and muscles, the back if susceptible to pain and injuries, whether it’s sports related or resulting from the simplest movement, such as sleeping in the wrong position, lifting, bending, poor posture, etc. An underlying disease can also contribute to your back pain.
Chiropractors use spinal manipulation to effectively and safely treat pain without medication. They look at the musculoskeletal system and the nervous system to focus on disorders using a hands-free approach.
If you’re one of the millions of people experiencing pain, consider seeking care from a chiropractor, like us. To help prevent future back pain, follow these tips from the ACA:
- Maintain a healthy diet and weight
- Remain active-under the supervision of your doctor of chiropractic
- Avoid prolonged inactivity or bed rest
- Warm up or stretch before exercising or other physical activities, such as gardening
- Maintain proper posture
- Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes
- Sleep on a mattress of medium firmness to minimize any curve in your spine
- Lift with your knees, keep the object close to your body, and do not twist when lifting
- Quit smoking. Smoking impairs blood flow, resulting in oxygen and nutrient deprivation to spinal tissues
- Work with your doctor of chiropractic to ensure that your computer workstation is ergonomically correct
Here’s to your health!